Serving the communities of Douglas and Rochestown.
1786 Douglas founded as Chapel of Ease to Carrigaline
1875 Douglas became separate parish
1875 Present St Luke’s consecrated
The present church is an attractive building of early English architectural style. Within the walls are the remains of the earlier church and a contemporary illustration in the vestry shows that it was simpler and smaller building. The nave was lengthened in 1885 and the large west window added. The spire, with its attractive clock which tolls on the hour, was added a few years later. The church is surrounded by an extensive graveyard which includes many interesting graves including the plot of the Arnott family and that of the antiquarian Dr. Richard Caufield. At the entrance to the graveyard, you will find the former Sexton’s Lodge. The church contains some interesting stained glass including windows designed by William Burges. In the sanctuary, under the east window there is a very fine Italian carving of the Last Supper, based on the famous painting of that name. The church also has a large and fine early 20th century organ by Binns of Leeds and a number of memorial plaques, including one to Sir Hugh Lane who died when the Lusitania was torpedoed in 1915.