St Luke’s National School, Douglas
Churchyard Lane, Douglas.
Find us using Loc8 Code: WCQ-63-2BN
St. Luke’s National School is located at the edge of the busy city suburb of Douglas. It is situated beside St. Luke’s Church and shares a site with the Canon Packham Hall, which is the parish centre.
A school was established on the site in the 1700’s and joined the National School System in 1880. The current school was built in 1980 and was extended and upgraded in 2002.
It is now a large co-educational school with an Administrative Principal (Ms. Olwen Anderson) which primarily caters for
the Church of Ireland parishioners of Douglas Union with Frankfield. Approximately 220 pupils attend the school. There are eight class teachers, as well as several resource and learning support teachers in addition to a school secretary, care taker and other part time staff.
St. Luke’s School is part of the local Church of Ireland community and is proud of its strong links with the parish. Its mission is to endeavour to create a well-functioning, happy and safe learning environment that promotes the dignity and individuality of every pupil, including those with special needs, enabling them to reach their full potential. A dedicated and caring staff aim to provide the best quality education for the children in their care in a Christian atmosphere in partnership with parents/guardians, Board of Management and the wider community.
St. Luke’s School is equipped with the latest in teaching aids and IT equipment including an Inter Active White Board and Visualizer in every classroom it provides a broad general education in accordance with the curriculum set out by the Department of Education and Skills. It also offers a wide range of sporting and cultural extra-curricular activities outside of the classroom.
Participation in education trips, Green School, musical and dramatic activities are promoted. High academic standards are encouraged and reached.
St. Luke’s boasts of many past pupils who have excelled in their chosen careers and have
represented Ireland on the International sporting scene. We are very proud to count our Patron (Bishop Paul Colton)
among our past pupils.
The school has very close links with the parish. This is demonstrated through special school services held in the church, as well as weekly visits by the clergy to teach and lead assembly.
The school website can be found at www.stlukesschool.ie
Tel 021 4361388