Serving the communities of Blackrock, Mahon, Ballinure, Ballinlough, and Ballintemple. This is the only parish in the union to be wholly within Cork City.
1828 Consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Fin Barre’s Cathedral.
1873 It became a separate parish in its own right.
1987 became part of Douglas Union.
St. Michael’s was built in 1827 at a cost of £2,100. On January 29th1836 the spire was struck by lightning and substantially damaged. There is a contemporary illustration and description of this event in the church vestry. In the entrance porch, there is a large plaque giving the names of all the former rectors of the parish. These include Rev. Dr. John Gregg who became Bishop of Ossory and successively Archbishop of Dublin and Armagh, Rev. Hedley Webster, later Bishop of Killaloe and Rev. Michael Mayes, formerly Bishop of Limerick. There is a memorial plaque to the famous mathematician George Boole in the south transept and he is buried in the graveyard. His grave is marked by a simple headstone. A very fine monument carved by John Hogan in memory of William Beamish can also be seen inside the church.The architect Sir Thomas Deane and his wife Elizabeth are also buried in the churchyard.